Re: X server crash when running texworks

On 29/03/2012 20:59, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 3/29/2012 8:14 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>
>> Not so good :-(.  Thanks for testing it, anyway.
>>
>> I found a rather bad crash bug I'd introduced and fixed that, so you might
>> want to try today's snapshot [1], but I'm not confident that I fixed the
>> problem you saw, so a backtrace would be helpful if you still get crashes.
>
> OK, I'm running it now and have attached gdb to it.  The good news is that
> I've been running it for a couple hours with no crash, and I've used texworks
> and have opened many tex files and pdf files in it without a problem.  The bad
> news is that texworks becomes unresponsive and has to be killed whenever I try
> to compile a tex file.  I have no idea whether this is due to an X server
> problem or something completely different.  Anyway, I'll post a backtrace if
> the server crashes.
>
> In case you want to try to reproduce the current problem, start texworks, open
> a tex file (such as the file test1.tex whose contents I listed at the
> beginning of this thread), and click on the icon at the left end of the
> toolbar (brown triangle on a green background).  This is supposed to cause
> test1.tex to get compiled, but for me it just causes texworks to become
> unresponsive.  This was working properly with the previous version of the X
> server (until the server crashed).

Thanks for testing this X server snapshot.

For me, the problem of texworks hanging only occurs very intermittently.  It
seems to be blocked deep in QtCore, waiting for the spawned process to
terminate (which has already happened).

I'm not sure how the X server changes could directly cause that to happen.

For me, it usually completes running the spawned pdftext, but that reports the
error "! I can't find file `test1.tex'."

A word about why the icons look so bad: The _NET_WM_ICON icons that texworks
has are only provided in 128x128 and 512x512 sizes, which we then have to
scale down to 32x32.  I'm not sure if these icons aren't too large to be
useful anywhere! :-)

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer