Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series

On 05/04/2012 16:54, Eliot Moss wrote:
> Something seems to have changed between the last 1.11 release and
> the 1.12.0 (up through the 1.12.0-2 release made yesterday).

Thanks for testing!

> The window for StartXWin, which is minimized, did not previously
> result in an X icon in the taskbar, but now does, and it is
> distinct from the stack of X icons for my several launched
> xterms.  I feel it is clutter and want to suppress it, but I
> don't know how at this point.

I guess the window you are seeing is the terminal window in which bash is
being run? It's the job of the run command to hide that window, and why it
should suddenly stop doing so when the XWin at the bottom of the process tree
changes, I have no idea.

This might perhaps be related to a bug in cygwin 1.7.12 where cygwin
executables were wrongly handled as native, non-cygwin executables?

> Separately, going from 1.12.0-1 to 1.12.0-2 changed my xemacs
> icon, to one that is nearly transparent (there's something
> there, but very hard to discern).  In the past xemacs gave
> its own icon (which I could never find or override).

Thanks for pointing this out.  I'd introduced a couple of bugs into the
fallback icon conversion code for a bitmap pointed to by WM_HINTS (which is
only used when a NET_WM_ICON property isn't present)

I've applied a couple of fixes, so hopefully this works better now. I've
uploaded a snapshot at [2]. Perhaps you could try that out and see if that
improves things for you?

I suspect that the 'XE' icon from
/usr/share/xemacs-21.4.22/etc/xemacs-icon.xpm is baked into the Xemacs
executable.  If Xemacs itself doesn't provide a way to change it, you could
override it for multiwindow mode by using the ICONS directive in XWinrc.

> xemacs                          -T xemacs    -n xemacs    -name xemacs1       &

> STYLES {
>   console MINIMIZE
>   Eliot   MINIMIZE
>   xemacs1 MINIMIZE
> }
>

> These various commands / files all seem to be seen and used.  And by the way,
> the xemacs1 MINIMIZE does not seem to work -- it always starts maximized and I
> have to minimize it manually.  Hints on that?

Using -name to set the xemacs resource name does not set the window class
name, apparently by design [1], so this style directive will not match the
window title or window class name of your xemacs window.

Fortunately, you could probably achieve the same effect by adding the
'-iconic' command line option to the xemacs invocation.

On 05/04/2012 17:11, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On xorg-server 1.12.0-2, doing
> a reload of .XWinrc via the .XWinrc menu cases an
> exception that kills the X server.  I does put up
> an error window saying what happened (a
> segmentation fault).

This was also related to the icon conversion changes and should be fixed in
the latest snapshot.

[1] http://www.nada.kth.se/cgi-bin/info?%28xemacs-faq.info%29Q3.1.7
[2] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20120406-git-b309f093d6e90201.exe.bz2