Re: ssh -X : connect /tmp/.X11-unix/X0: No such file or directory

On 20/04/2012 11:43, Ronald Fischer wrote:
> My setup so far (which is working well), was to use Xming as X-Server
> and putty for logging into our Solaris hosts via ssh. Since I have
> Cygwin installed, I thought I could use its ssh equally well, so I
> exported the ssh key from putty to the format understood by ssh, and
> used the following bash command to login to the Solaris host:
>
>   DISPLAY=:0.0 TERM=xterm  ssh -p 22 -K -X -i MyPrivateKeyFile
>   MyUserName@SolarisHost
>
> When I now try to start an X application, I get an error message like
> this
>
>  connect /tmp/.X11-unix/X0: No such file or directory
>  XIO:  fatal IO error 131 (Connection reset by peer) on X server
>  "SolarisHost:239.0"
>        after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I think I know what's going on here.

cygwin ssh understands DISPLAY=:0.0 to mean to connect to the X server for
display 0 via a local (UNIX domain) socket, named /tmp/.X11-unix/X0

The Xming X server, not being a cygwin application, cannot listen on that socket.

The solution should be to use DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 instead, which means to
connect to the X server for display 0 via TCP/IP, which the Xming X server
should be listening on.

See FAQ 1.6 [1] for more details.

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#display-and-screen

--