Re: possible to run XWin as windows service?

On 26/07/2012 23:30, Paul Maier wrote:
> I would like to start XWin automatically on Windows startup (Windows user login).
> I couldn't find any hint in the manual.
>
> Is it possible to run (and automatically start) XWin as windows service?

Possible? Yes.

You can't run an arbitrary executable as a service, you need to use the cygwin
service wrapper cygrunsrv to make it respond to service control messages.

However, this is not the way to achieve what you want to do. Google "Allow
service to interact with desktop" to learn why...

Running it from the "Startup" program group is the correct approach.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer