Re: XWin.exe segmentation fault on Windows 7

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the excellent response.

> Given you were getting fork problems before this upgrade, this might well be a
> problem with some other software interfering with cygwin's operation. So you
> should take a look at [1], and probably try running XWin with CYGWIN including
> detect_bloda [2]

The only software I found on her computer that is also on that list
was the McAfee virus scanner.  We disabled this and still saw the
problem (though I noticed the process was still running, and
re-launched itself if you killed it!).  I also tried uninstalling some
other software that might have been interfering; such as DVD burning
software, etc. but still saw the problem (even after a reboot and
rebaseall).

I then set the environment variable CYGWIN=detect_bloda  and launched
a bash instance but didn't see any messages about BLODA detected.
This is a nice feature, I'll be sure to use it if I find any more
forking issues in the future.

Our IT staff is pretty good at quick reinstalls, so I've asked them to
reinstall Windows 7 on this machine.  I'm hopeful this will solve the
problem, but if not I'll continue with debugging XWin.

Thanks,
Chris