Re: xfig: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

On 04/02/2013 00:11, Andy wrote:
> When I start xfig, I get the following:
>    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
>    ^GCan't open compose key file '/usr/lib/xfig/CompKeyDB',
>       no multi-key sequences available
>
> I want to deal wit the font messages first.  I may ask about the compose key
> file if I can't resolve it with web search.
>
> Googling the font error yields hits mostly from non-cygwin distributions of
> xfig.  Most hits are from people who actually get more detail in the error,
> specifying the fonts that are missing.

Interesting.  Maybe there is some patch available which improve the reporting
in libX11.

> I don't seem to have that detail in the
> message above.  I found that the fonts are stored in /usr/share/fonts, but I
> haven't been able to find a description of how to determine which fonts are
> missing.  The only font related messages in the XWin log file at
> /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log are:
>

> Is there an xfig log file or some other means by which one can determine which
> fonts are missing?

Yes, this error message from libX11 is pretty bad, and should tell you the
charsets that are missing.

If I recall correctly, this warning is usually caused when you are using an
UTF-8 locale (like the default C.UTF-8 locale), because when making the
fontset, libX11 searches for matching fonts with all the encodings it knows
about, and there are no matching fonts with CJK encodings (as no CJK fonts are
installed).

Installing the fonts font-isas-misc, font-jis-misc and font-daewoo-misc should
work around the problem.

You could also use a non-UTF-8 locale, but I wouldn't recommend that.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer