Re: X connections reset on PC sleep

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:27:02PM -0500, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>On 13/02/2013 10:37 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I use (and love) this package:  http://xpra.org/  which allows you to start
>> an X server "in the background" and connect/disconnect to it.
>>
>> See also: http://winswitch.org/ which provides a GUI for manipulating xpra.
>>
>Nice! I tried partiwm a long time ago and it was too buggy to use... and
>then it never changed. Good to know somebody gave it the TLC it deserved.

I use it with pidgin, xterm, rdesktop, and occasionally firefox so it's
possible that it doesn't work well with more sophisticated apps.  But,
the developer seems pretty responsive so it seems like any reported
problems have a chanced of being fixed.  I use it to check cygwin
problems when I'm at work and my "cygwin machine" is at home.

One minor problem is that the support for various platforms is spotty.
I've had to build packages for OpenSUSE myself and the packages for
gentoo often lag the release by months.

Anyway, this is off-topic but I thought that I'd spread the word about
this app.  I used to use the freenx stuff but I was always tinkering
with it.  xpra, for me, just works.

cgf