Re: "Erreur" messages when trying to compile

On 2/18/2013 6:42 AM, Jack wrote:
> On 2013.02.18 09:26, jere95 wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am new to programming and I downloaded cygwin, because I heard it
>> was a
>> good gcc compiler. At the moment I am reading this O'reilly book on
>> C, and I
>> tried compiling the folowing exemple programme out of the book :
>>
>> When I try to compile, this c file, typing : /gcc cards.c -o cards/ ,
>> the
>> cygwin terminal answers :
>>

>> What is the problem?
> For some reason, your examples are not coming through to the mailing
> list.
>
> However, it looks like the messages are very clear.  You seem to be
> using "(" (left parenthesis) instead of "{" (left curly brace) on many
> lines.  gcc is expecting a closing parenthesis before the next
> semicolon, and it is expecting a semicolon  before the next closing
> curly brace.

Yes, here is his example program:

#include<stdio.h>
#include<stdlib.h>
int main()
{
	char card_name[ 3];
	puts("Enter the card_name: ");
	scanf("%2s", card_name);
	int val = 0;
	if (card_name[0] == 'K') (
		val = 10;
	} else if (card_name[0] == 'Q') (
		val = 10;
	} else if (card_name[0] == 'J') (
		val = 10;
	}else if (card_name[0] == 'A') (
		val = 11;
	}else (
		val = atoi(card_name);
	}
	printf("The card value is: %i\n", val);
	return 0;
	}

Look at this line, for example:

	if (card_name[0] == 'K') (

My guess is that you typed this in by hand, and didn't see clearly
that the last character should have been an open brace '{' rather
than an open parentheses '('. It looks like you've made the same
error in several other places.