Re: Can't resize windows in Cygwin/X 1.12.1

On 12/07/2013 22:40, STEVEN SITTSER wrote:
> Until recently I was using Cygwin/X under Cygwin 1.5.18 on Windows XP.  The
> windows displayed by our in-house X applications had resize borders - I
> could resize the windows by grabbing an edge.
>
> Now, I am using Cygwin/X 1.12.1 under Cygwin 1.7.14 on Windows XP.  Now,
> the windows displayed by the same applications have a fixed size - I can't
> resize them by grabbing the edges.  (This is true both when I run the exact
> same executables under both Cygwin versions, and when I build the
> applications separately under each Cygwin version.)
>
> I've been hoping that there is some sort of configuration setting that
> controls this behavior, but with many hours of digging through man pages,
> web pages, and miscellaneous documentation, I have been unable to come up
> with anything.  I was thinking maybe something that would go in .Xdefaults,
> or a command line parameter for startwxin, etc.

The .XWinrc file [1] can be used to do some overriding of window styles, but
it seems that it doesn't allow a sizing frame to be added.  Perhaps that's
something I need to look at adding.

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/man5/XWinrc.5.html

> I would like to be able to restore the window behavior to what it was in
> Cygwin 1.5.18 without making changes to the source code of our
> applications.  However, if my symptoms imply that we've got something coded
> wrong in our applications, then any advice on fixing that would be
> appreciated.  I don't do any XWindows programming myself (and I'm only just
> barely familiar with XWindows in general), but I can pass any information
> on to those who do.

If using the latest X server doesn't resolve your problem, then possibly this
is a bug with the mapping of the X windows decoration hints into a native
Windows window style.

Can you install 'xprop' (using cygwin setup), and show the output you get from
running that, then clicking on the window which doesn't get a resize frame.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer