Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Uploads for 12 August

On Aug 13 18:00, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 8/13/2013 2:26 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >>
> >>Given that the only programs which seem to be *practically* affected
> >>by this is our Emacs, and Firefox/Thunderbird/etc. (which we don't
> >>have yet), and using G_SLICE=always-malloc apparently affects
> >>performance, I don't think that would be an appropriate solution.
> >>
> >>For now, I think you'll have to add a wrapper script.
> >
> >Can anybody of you explain to me what the actual underlying problem is?
> >I mean, why this error message:
> >
> >    ***MEMORY-ERROR***: [3044]: GSlice: failed to allocate 504 bytes
> >    (alignment: 512): Function not implemented
> >
> >What function is not implemented?  Is that something we can fix,
> >perhaps in the Cygwin DLL?
>
> It's memalign, or at least that's what it was in 2007.  See
>
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-02/msg00678.html

So it's using its own malloc but we don't support overriding other
functions besides malloc/realloc/calloc/free.

In theory we could do that in future.  We still have room for 10 (x86)
resp. 12 (x86_64) pointers in the per_process structure, which could be
used for this purpose.  This would only require applications which need
this feature to be rebuilt with the next Cygwin version providing these
pointers.

But we shouldn't waste those unused slots either, so the number of
overridable functions should be kept small.  In theory we have mallopt,
mallinfo, posix_memalign, memalign, and valloc.

I guess we can skip mallopt and mallinfo since they are pretty
seldomly used in user-provided malloc implementations.

Memalign is an old, deprecated function, so I wonder why it's used at
all.  GSlice should use posix_memalign instead.  Yaakov, is there an
option to use posix_memalign rather than memalign?

Anyway, that would be three extra pointers in the per_process structure,
for memalig, posic_memalign, and valloc, and we could get rid of the `if
(!use_internal) set_errno(ENOSYS);' in those functions and rather call
the user provided functions then.

Does that make sense?

Corinna

Red Hat