Re: font-misc-misc out of era

Am 20.09.2013 19:21, schrieb Jon TURNEY:
On 20/09/2013 17:37, Thomas Wolff wrote:
The X fonts in the package font-misc-misc is out-of-era, from ASCII times,
so that e.g. if you start xterm -fn 9x18 you wouldn't even see a Euro sign.
Please replace them with their Unicode versions from
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html
Markus Kuhn's X11 unicode bitmap fonts have been included in the upstream
X.Org package for some years (see [1])
Looking precisely, they are actually included in the cygwin font-misc-misc package, though in addition to small script-specific old versions. I think the latter should be removed to reduce confusion.

This seems to be an issue with the font specification: "9x18" aliases to
"-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-koi8-r" (which I don't have
installed on my system, and probably doesn't have a euro character)
I wonder why the font-alias package creates cyrillic/fonts.alias as the only language-specific subdirectory. The entries font there are ambiguous to those of misc/fonts.alias (with the exception of 9x18 which is not included in the latter). Looks somewhat weird. Also I wonder whether the fonts.alias file shouldn't rather come with each respective package.

$ xterm -fn 9x18
Warning: Cannot convert string "9x18" to type FontStruct
xterm: cannot load font '9x18'
xterm: cannot load font '9x18'

but this works fine:

$ xterm -fn -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-iso10646-1

and I can type € with no problem.

We probably need to do something more intelligent than just using the upstream
font aliases package verbatim to fix this problem.

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/font/misc-misc/log/

Yes, simply the misc/fonts.alias file should alias 9x18 etc to the proper Unicode version, and the ambiguous entries elsewhere should be removed.
--
Thomas