Re: Xwin 1.14.2 (64 bit) extreme memory page faulting

On 10/3/2013 12:46 PM, Erik Soderquist wrote:
<snip>
I just fired up a 64-bit Ubuntu VM I had laying around, installed firefox,
and tunneled it to cygwin64/X on my win7-64 machine. X isn't even visible in
the task manager when I sort descending by PF delta, CPU, or memory. This in
spite of having half a dozen tabs with content (including ads, an html5
game, and a youtube video playing).

Opening a couple dozen more empty tabs brought PFdelta up to the ~7k range,
but the rate dropped back to ~0 as soon as the dust settled. Typing remains
fully responsive, and I'm officially out of ideas.

Ryan

That is the kind of responsiveness I expect, and what other people
I've discussed this with experience, which is why I think it is
something unusual in my setup or environment...  Unfortunately, I'm
currently unable to find it myself, and can reliably reproduce the
issue even in a virgin environment.

So far, the only common factors (that I see) across each of these has
been my Linux host, (CentOS 5.8 at present) and my various
tabs/accounts.  However, I am at a complete loss as to even guess at
how these could affect page faulting on the X server.

For reference: on the Linux host, when the Windows host is
experiencing these page faults, the Linux host is reporting 20-30% CPU
usage overall, no swap usage.

Any chance of finding or setting up an alternate host to test against?

--
Larry