Re: Problem with xterm-301-1

On Feb 27 17:00, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 06:05:48PM +0000, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
> > > From: Thomas Dickey [mailto:dickey@his.com]

> > > (whether xterm should use $SHELL incoming is a different issue that I
> > > am reconsidering)
> >
> > Is there any ETA for a resolution of this issue?
>
> I added that to my changes for #302 yesterday, and have a couple more
> issues to resolve (probably #302 will be available this weekend)
>
> > I've been holding off on upgrading to xterm-301 because of this issue.  I'm
> > not sure if there is some patch coming soon (either to xterm or adding a
> > default /etc/shells to Cygwin), or if I should just plan on manually creating
> > my own "/etc/shells".
>
> With #302, this will work:
>
> 	SHELL=whatever xterm
>
> but this is a special case (the program will run - a fix - but
> will need to be in /etc/shells to have xterm set $SHELL):
>
> 	xterm whatever

May I politely ask why xterm cares at all?  What is the reasoning
behind this?

Heere's why I'm asking:

Xterm is not a login process, like login(1) or sshd(8).  If somebody
starts xterm, the login process itself has long exec'ed the login shell,
and the permission problem what shell is allowed to be started as login
shell is done.  Afterwards, the user is usually allowed to start
whatever process he or she has a right to.  It looks really weird to me
that a terminal emulator would decide that certain processes are not
allowed to a user which otherwise work fine.

Corinna

Red Hat