Re: Emacs just stopped working for no reason

On 3/5/2014 8:28 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
I was away on vacation for a week.  Cygwin / X / GNU Emacs 24.3.1 were
all working normally when I left.  I left the computer powered on
while I was away.  No software was updated on the computer during that
time, though I am running the BOINC software for World Community Grid.
  Computer is running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

I left a couple of xterm windows open before I left, because there was
some work I wanted to be reminded of when I got home.

Upon arriving home last night, I tried to fire up Emacs, but now it's
not working.  It either says "memory exhausted" or just hangs.

I rebooted, nothing changed.

I started "ash" and ran "rebaseall -v".  Still, nothing changed.

This is not the first time that Emacs has died.  The only way to fix
the problem is to completely re-install Cygwin from scratch.

Is there *any* way to try to figure out what is causing this?

You might check to see if this is the fontconfig problem that others have reported (see http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/msg00248.html): Try running "fc-cache -fsv".

Ken