Re: Problem launching XTerm on new Cygwin installation

On 3/7/2014 1:49 PM, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 11:57:20AM -0800, Mark Hansen wrote:
I just installed the 64-bit version of Cygwin on both a desktop PC and a laptop PC.
On the desktop, everything worked as expected without problems. On the laptop, I
have the following problems:

When I launch a shell window, I get the following error:

Your group is currently "mkgroup". This indicates that neither your gid nor your pgsid is in /etc/group.

(I don't know about this one)

Also, when I try to launch an XTerm, I get the following message in the XTerm window for
just a few seconds and then the window goes away:

/cygdrive/c/Apps/cygwin/bin/xterm: Could not exec XTERM_SHELL=XTERM_SHELL=: No such file or directory

yes, that's a bug which surfaced in #301, thought it was gone in #302, and _should_ be gone in #303
(from yesterday)

I'm starting the XWin Server using a shortcut with the following:

C:\Apps\cygwin\bin\run.exe
        /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
        "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- -emulate3buttons -multiwindow -clipboard -swcursor"

I'm starting the XTerm using a shortcut with the following:

C:\Apps\cygwin\bin\run.exe
        -p /usr/X11R6/bin xterm +tb -sb -sl 5000 -display 127.0.0.1:0.0 -ls /bin/zsh -l

I'd try putting "-e" before the "/bin/zsh", which moves it away from the bug noted.
(actually, the trailing "-l" doesn't look right either)

Thanks. I think the -l was to cause a login shell, but I see now that is what the -ls
argument does. Since I removed the shell argument ("/bin/zsh -l") it is now working.
I'm getting the shell I want, I suspect, because that is the shell mentioned in the
/etc/passwd file for my user.

As a result, it is working so I'll leave it alone.

fwiw, when I compile #301, #302 and #303 for Cygwin, I don't see the bug.
However, I was able to analyze it on Linux with valgrind...

Well, I downloaded the Cygwin installation for my desktop last week, and downloaded
the Cygwin for my laptop yesterday. I guess the bug could have been introduced between
those times?

Thanks for your help!