Re: operator message

dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de writes:

> Hi, you wrote:
>
> : with an empty body fed into stdin. Sendmail will stick in an
> : Apparently-To: synthesized from the recipients on the command line if
> : there's no "To:" line in the message (which there obviously isn't: he
> : seems to have fed an empty file to sendmail). The other headers are all
> : synthesized by sendmail in its normal course of operation..
> :
> : The "To: " header is not guaranteed to exist..
>
> Obviously the destination is required.
> How else could it have been sent to gnu-win32?
> Note that RFC822 doesn't mention "Apperantly-To:" at all!
> I can't easily grep thru all RFCs; so where is "Apperantly-To:" defined?

>From my Sendmail Installation and Operation Guide:

.sh 3 "Apparently-To:"
.pp
RFC 822 requires at least one recipient field
(To:, Cc:, or Bcc: line)
in every message.
If a message comes in with no recipients listed in the message
then
.i sendmail
will adjust the header based on the
.q NoRecipientAction
option.
One of the possible actions is to add an
.q "Apparently-To:"
header line for any recipients it is aware of.
This is not put in as a standard recipient line
to warn any recipients that the list is not complete.
.pp
The Apparently-To: header is non-standard
and is deprecated.

~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907
-