Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97

Jim Balter wrote:

[stuff snipped]

> Using gcc does not force people to share their source code (I don't
> think; see below).  cygwin.dll is not gcc.

I'm not convinced of this, Jim. In a very real sense, it is part of the
port.
Someone might quibble about what is and is not the compiler proper, but
I think
arguably Cygnus has added to the toolset and that it should
automatically fall under the purview of GPL. consider the following:

" If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the
program,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this licence and its terms do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you
distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
on the program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
this licence..."
						GPL, sec 2

In other words, the issue comes down to two points: is cygwin32.dll
"an independent and separate work in itself," and second, what is the
context of distribution? If the context is a total compiler package,
then
even if the dll was written wholly and soley by Cygnus, it *must* be
covered
by GPL. On the other hand, if it is distributed along with some product
written by Cygnus (say, a totally new, non-GNU product), then it is not
covered, because that distribution is not part of the compiler package.

As to the first point, surely there is some question about calling a DLL
an
"independent and separate work." DLL's by definition are worthless
without a
companion client they serve. So if the client is GCC, then I think it
*must*
be covered by GPL. If the client is some non-GNU program written for
that
API, then it is not covered and someone could distribute sans source,
etc.

Now, the question is, what about when you and I distribute vs. when
cygnus
distributes the dll?

The upshot is that, as long as you or I were to offer a free
distribution
of the gnu-win32 compiler (etc.) at our web site (let us say), it will
also be possible to continue distribution of cygwin32, without paying
cygnus and without buying
a commercial licence from them. As long as anyone who wants cygwin32.dll
can get it in the context of the compiler package, source, etc., it
*must*
be provided as per GPL. It doesn't matter if it is used in a commercial
context,
etc., as long as the free software aspect is maintained. I think that's
fairly plain from the above. Let me know how you read the situation,

Best Regards,
DRS

-