Re: Support for alpha?

jqb@netcom.com said:
> There's a lot of machine-specific stuff in the compiler and other
> bintools, and there's a little bit in the library, such as setjmp and
> exception handling.

The alpha is already supported as a target by gcc, there seem to be
config files in gcc-2.7.2 for alpha-unknown-winnt. Also, the Linux/alpha
uses the GNU compiler (and I use Linux/alpha) so there is certainly a
working gnu compiler for alpha.

binutils also has the requisite stuff for the alpha. I use the GNU toolchain
all the time for native and cross compiles on the alpha. It's there.

Someone just has to go through the effort of getting the non-compiler parts
ported to the alpha. This would be the cygwin DLL, etc. It's that sort of
thing that I'm not sure is easy to resolve. Eventually, I'll take a stab
at it as I already use the GNU compiler in a gazillion other places and I'll
be needed the whole chain working native and cross on NT for those customers
of mine who just can't live without Windoze (gag.)
--
Steve Williams
steve@icarus.com

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

-