Understanding program startup

  I am not new to C programming, however, I am new to writing programs
that run under a unix shell like bash.  For history, I found that single
quotes are not respected by applications that use cygwin.dll when the
program is invoked from outside bash. I chased down the code to the
winsup/dcrt0.cc source file and was busy modifying it when I decided to
check on the behavior of "normal" command lines under bash and under NT.
Well, I see where the code should behave certain ways and does when run
under NT command processor, but does not behave at all the same when
under bash.  Now here is my question:
  My suspicion is that the routine dll_crt0_1 is not called if the
program is run under the shell. Is this correct?  I will try to check on
libc's crt0 to see if this is true (if I can find the source).  It looks
like there are a lot of important things in the dll_crt0_1 routine that
should be done in each case. If they don't get done, what happens?
Could this be the ctrl-C crash problem???

   Dave Ellis
-