Re: Absolute file-path under bash (cygwin32)

Hawkeye wrote:
> > Either of these problems are easily fixed. How do you recognize variable
> > names so that they can be replaced? With a special character. I don't
> > know bash enough to know what character or character combination is left
> > over, though. Maybe $/ as in $/foo/bar.com . Do variable names ever
> > start with $/?
>
> I suppose that would work, but what's the point?  Now you have to
> remember to type "$/" instead of "C:\".

Ahh. But as long as you ALWAYS type it, bash does the right thing for
the executable. As you said "a consistent ugly style is better than an
inconsistent
> half-ugly/half-pretty style". This would be consistent. It would be a flag to bash to change the path as appropriate.

> How about this instead:  the internal cygwin function that maps a name
> to a location in the filesystem (namei?) could handle both unix-style
> and dos-style names.

I believe you will have trouble with Unix programs that manipulate the
file names internally themselves: lopping filenames off of paths, adding
extensions, checking if paths are absolute or relative and so forth.
This is why I suggested that bash pass what they are expecting. Sure it
would be nicer to change every app, but that doesn't seem likely in the
short term.

 Paul Prescod

-