Re: G77 and Gnu-win32

David Coe <david@coent.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Hi folks!
>
> I notice that the John Eaton's crew have completed a fair amount of a
> native Octave port via gnu-win32. I think this must have been via f2c
> for the Fortran bits rather than G77.
>
> Has anyone though managed to merge the G77 add-on with the Cygnus GCC?
> Alternatively, are there plans for the extensive gnu-win32 changes to
> GCC to be fed back into the GNU distribution?

See http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32 for
both g77 0.5.20 binaries/patches and also prebuilt octave 2.0.5. I
wouldn't call octave for gnu-win32 a "port", since all it really
needed was a "configure; make; make install" + workarounds for
gnu-win32 bugs/omissions/misfeatures.

Comes with no support whatsoever.

Unless gnu-win32 gcc backend changes are merged back into FSF, I know
for sure that g77 team would not consider this a viable platform
(unlike EMX and DJGPP). Nobody wants to work on gcc development
snapshots that by definition are unstable and have ever changing
interfaces.

Regards,
Mumit -- khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/