Re: gethostbyname: returns "not owner"

> When I call gethostbyname(), it returns an error.  perror() displays
> "not owner".
>
> This only happens when  I'm running under SH.EXE.

I don't know about the above, that sounds like a permissions problem
in the registry????????????????????? but for the below, there are several
contributions I can make.

1) in your winnt directory look in system32/drivers/etc
there is a hosts.sam and an Lmhosts.sam file.
Depending on whether you are on an internet(U**ix) network
or an NT network, you need to set up the appropriate hosts
file with entries following the sample entries
ex.
192.32.71.12 foo.net.com foo
in hosts will allow ping foo or telnet foo to work.
2) for general networking, you need to get nameserever info and
default router info from your connection provider, and set up
your ppp or whatever connection with that info.
DNS=nameserver
your net administrator should be able to help you.

-