Re: Trying to remake dlltool

   Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:27:21 +0100
   From: Jon Thackray <jont@harlequin.co.uk>

   ian@cygnus.com writes:
    > >I am trying to rebuild dlltool and am running into problems. The
    > >reason I am trying to rebuild it is that it produces symbols with one
    > >too many _ characters at the start, and these break the link step.
    >
    > This problem is almost certainly not in dlltool.

   Do you have a suggestion as to where it might be? The scenario is, I
   have a .lib file and some .obj files I wish to link against it. Using
   link, this all proceeds correctly. Using nm to get the defined symbols
   from the .lib file, and then using dlltool to build a .a from these,
   then using ld, the link fails because the __imp symbols can't be
   matched. Using nm on the .obj files and the .a file indicates that all
   the __imp symbols match between one and the other, except that the
   ones in the .a file have an extra _ at the start of each one.

I didn't realize that you only meant the __imp symbols.  I agree; that
problem probably is in dlltool.

What do the symbols look like in .lib files generated by your other
tool?  Can you give a sample of nm output, for example?

   I don't want all the tools, and I don't even have room to unpack the
   entire set. Can I persuade configure to work only for the bits I need
   (ie bfd, libiberty, dlltool).

configure will work on whatever subdirectories it sees.

Besides the ones you mention, you'll probably also need the include
directory.

Ian
-