Re: Invalid DLL on NT.(was Re: Console GUI, bad dll executables)

Eric Britten wrote:

> When I try to run a program I wrote on NT I get the following error.
>
> The application or DLL c:\temp\gnugui.dll is not a valid Windows NT
> image.
>
> My program included an exe and its dll.  I produced these two
> executables
> with b18.  However they will run on Windows 95.
>
> The executables can be found at
> http://pages.prodigy.com/britten/gnugui/conguib3a.zip
>
> Using quickview I found that the name of a section dealing with stabs
> had
> some invalid characters.  The section was
> .stabstri[B]
> where i is i with the umlaut and [B] was just an undefinable character
> that looks like a box.
>
> I have studied PE images before and seem to remember that section
> names
> can only be 8 characters long. This section is 10 characters long.
> Could
> this be the problem?  And if so why doesn't Windows 95 flag this as an
> error.  If this is the problem I will build the dll without debug info
> and
> post it to my website above by wednesday June 16.
>
> This could be a bug in ld.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Eric,

The entry is fine... The problem is the program that you are using to
dump the entry expects a '\0' terminated string.  If the section name is
precisely 8 characters in length, it is not a C terminated string.  The
two extra characters are actually part of the section information, the
actual section name is ".stabstr" (8 characters).

Are you linking your DLL with fixup.o?

Bill
--
William Greathouse                | wgreathouse@smva.com  Email