Using tty code for serial Ports

I would like to use the tty code for serial ports.

What I was hoping for a way the serial port could attach
to a tty code allowing callbacks for reading, write, ioctl.

This would allow a single interface for code wanting a tty driver
style interface. I did not see any way for this to happen. Did I
overlook something.

I was hoping that the code was broken into 2 logical parts tty
driver code and raw character device code. With this split I could
add the serial port code to tty code.

The pty code then be just anyother device with input/output
half connected.

Is this the direction that thing are moving but I do not see it or
are them moveing in a different path.

I would think that console, serial ports, Print Port, and pty would
be sharing upper level of code.
-