Re: Bash as the interactive shell in Emacs 19.34.6 for NT not working

>From: Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU>
>Subject: Re: Bash as the interactive shell in Emacs 19.34.6 for NT not
working
---snip---
>Look, text=binary mode is a nice feature, but not everyone wants it.
>I'd much rather have a version of bash that worked even with
text!=binary
>mode than having to convert all files to binary mode.
>
>One reason for this is that anytime I (or the users of the program that
>I'm porting) use a Windows text editing tool to edit my (their) files,
>it will save the files in text mode, not binary mode, so the conversion
is
>not just a "once-off" thing that can be done at installation time and
>then forgotten about.
>
>I'm not trying to reignite the text-vs-binary debate, I would just like
>the developers to bear in mind that many of the users would prefer to
>use text mode mounts rather than binary mode mounts if possible.

I believe that your original problem was that you were having problems
with executing bash from emacs.  If you fix the resource files (.bashrc,
.profile, /etc/profile, etc.) that things should work ok.  You can mount
the same directory with multiple mount points one as text=binary and
another mount point as text!=binary.

I am using vim for my editor and if the file I am editing contains \r\n
combinations then it will output the file in text mode even if the file
resides in a binary mount and if the file contains only the \n it will
output the file in binary mode even in text!=binary mounts.  Therefore,
having binary mounts doesn't eliminate the \r\n combination, it does
mean that for scripts they cannot exist.

By the way, I do agree that it would be nice for the command line
processes to recognize the file type on the fly and set the file
processing mode appropriately.

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------