reg make

hi,

I am using cygwin32 make utility to compile our
heirarchical Makefile structure.( The Makefiles are
so written to enable recursive compilation of subdirectories)
The platform is Pentium running NT 4.0.

In the top level Makefile there is a statement

SUBDIRS = (shell ls */Makefile|sort)

This statement always results in SUBDIRS being evaluated
to blank when make is invoked
though from command line the ls */Makefile | sort
statement evaluates to some valid value.

Why is this happening ?/
How can I solve the problem.
I want the result of the 'ls ..' statement to accrue in the
SUBDIRS var.

Please let me know

thx in advance

vasu