[Solved!] Re: [Workaround] Re: M-x shell + bash = Infinite error messages?

Andrew Innes said:
> On 16 Dec 1997 13:44:45 -0500, Paul Stodghill <stodghil@CS.Cornell.EDU> said:
> >I figured out what was causing my problem:
>
> [problem was bash crashing when run in an Emacs shell buffer]
>
> >I was invoking emacs by using a command similar to,
> >
> >  bash -c "runemacs ... some options ..."
> >
> >Changing the command to simply
> >
> >  runemacs ... some options ...
> >
> >made by M-x shell problems go away.
> >
> >Why?
>
> runemacs starts Emacs then exits, so possibly an environment variable is
> being set by bash which is passed on to Emacs, causing confusion later.

Bingo! The environment variable in question is PID. Setting PID (either by
using bash to invoke runemacs, or by M-x setenv) causes M-x shell to die a
horrible death.

Adding

	(setenv "PID" nil)

to my ~/.emacs fixes the problem.