signals from non-cygwin processes?

Hi,

   I would like to be able to send a cygwin process a signal
from a non-cygwin process.  When one cygwin process wants to
signal another it does it with a message as:

    SendMessage(hwnd, WM_USER, SIGNAL, signo);

where hwnd is the hidden window (?) of the target process and
SIGNAL is the constant 1 and signo is the signal number to
send.  So it seems that it should be possible for non-cygwin
processes to signal a cygwin process if it can find out
the value of hwnd.  So my question is:  Is there a way one
process can find out the value of the hwnd belonging to
a cygwin process?  What if the first process was the entity
that spawned the cygwin process?

                                    Tim N.
-