Re: du bug, wrong sizes reported.

>Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:53:58 +1100
>From: Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU>
>To: Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com>
>Cc: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: Re: du bug, wrong sizes reported.
>
>On 25-Jan-1998, Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU>:

>> >Why?
>>
>> du --help
>>
>> type this command to get the answer.
>
>According to `man du' on Linux (corrsponding to GNU fileutils 3.12),
>it should report sizes using a block size of 1k, unless the environment
>variable POSIXLY_CORRECT is set, in which case the default block size
>should be 512 bytes.

OK. I just took a look at the fileutils.info file and it says the same
thing.  However, du --help doesn't really say, other than inferences
with the descriptions of the -k and -m switches.  And, when I looked at
du on AIX UNIX it reported 512k blocks and no POSIXLY_CORRECT
environment variable.

>--
>Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the
pursuit
>WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal
habit"
>PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S.
Garp.

Thanks, Fergus, for setting me straight.

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------