RE: bash and '&'

>From: Sergey Okhapkin <sos@buggy.prospect.com.ru>
>To: Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com>, "'Wei Ku'" <wku1@utk.edu>
>Cc: "gnu-win32@cygnus.com" <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
>Subject: RE: bash and '&'
>Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 21:58:41 +0400
>
>Wei Ku wrote:
>> I got the exactly result from b19. Ghostview& is still alive after
exit from
>> bash. However, the console window does not disappear until Ghostview
is
>> closed. This is slightly different from the situation in true UNIX
machine.

>> I would guess that Mr. Sergey Okhapkin has a clear idea why the
console
>> window is still there.
>>

>It's very easy - cygwin-compiled ghostview is a _console_ application!
It has console buffer allocated and console handles opened.

You are not understanding the problem.  If in b18 bash you execute a job
in the background, say for example "wish80 &", and exited the bash
session then the TK window remained open and the console window died.
If you do the same thing under b19, the bash process dies but the
console window doesn't.  You can't do anything with it except to iconize
it and wait until your done with TK.  When you exit TK then the dead
window will disappear.

>--
>Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
>Moscow, Russia