Re: DirectX and mingw..

On 24 Apr 98 at 11:52, the Illustrious Factory wrote:

>   I don't suppose anybody has gotten a workable implementation of directX
> happening in the latest version of mingw, I've tried the one at
> http://dragon.acadiau.ca/~025668b/develop/directx/, but does not seem to
> work (keeps trying to find l.dll (!?!)).. :(

	Problem is that the Directx available from the URL you referenced is set
up for Cygwin32 b17 or b18 and doesn't link without Cygwin32.dll being
somewhere on the path.

	Fortunately, the header files included for ddraw.h do work under
Cygwin32.  Unfortunately, you have to replace your ddraw.dll file on
your computer with the ddraw.dll included as part of the DirectX
stuff you downloaded.

	Fortunately, this is rather simple.  Unfortunately, in order to get
Mingw32 to work with the ddraw.h stuff, you must configure your system to
support switching between Cygwin32 and Mingw32 and set your development
environment to default to the cygwin32 gcc for all of your DirectX compile
needs thus negating any positive effect you may have received by
installing and using Mingw32.

	Mingw32 and Cygwin32, out-of-the-box,  do not as you proabably already
know, support DirectX in any form.

	I suppose that if you were ambitious enough and had an abundance of time
on your hands, you _could_ probably convert every single DirectX (ver 5 or
lower) API related header to something that Mingw32 could understand and
use.

	Another possibility is that you could use a separate development
environment for your C and C++ programs.  I only suggest this because
there is a non-Gnu C compiler that actually did convert all of the MS
header files that it came with into something understandable by a non-Gnu
compiler.  Whether those files (libs and obj) may be properly linked
via "ld" or any version of the Gnu linker remains to be seen.

	It is also rumored that the aforementioned non-Gnu compiler can actually
convert all of the most recent MS Platform SDK headers into something that
can be read by the aforementioned non-Gnu compiler.

	Hope this helps.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Information Systems Consultant