From: bob.mcgowan@artecon.com/HP-Germany/mimegw13 on 04/25/98 02:37 AM CED

To:   gnu-win32@cygnus.com/HP-Germany/mimegw13@BBN-GW1
cc:   bob.mcgowan@artecon.com/HP-Germany/mimegw13@BBN-GW1
Subject:  RE: Question(may be a Bug) to gsub () function of awk from GNU WI
      N32 Beta 19

Wolfgang,

I have seen discussion of a similar problem in the comp.lang.awk
newsgroup.  Basically, the comments indicate that using the gsub() with
a quoted string as the first argument is the source of the problem.
gsub() expects a regular expression and so there is a string to regex
conversion, losing the escape char (\) and creating a regex of /|/ in
which (I assume) the pipe symbol has some special meaning.

So try replacing the "\|" with /\|/ (note no quotes).

I am afraid I do not have a setup to actually try this so I cannot
confirm that it really works.

---
Bob McGowan
i'm:  bob dot mcgowan at artecon dot com