Re: Another newbie onboard...

Troy High [thigh@smatnet.net] wrote:

[...]
>Firstly, concerning mounting stuff in binary/text mixed mode or not,  I seem
>to be really confused.  I have tried to unmount and mount these things
>however I invariably end up with the same mounts when I restart the machine.
>Are there command-line switches or registry hacks I am missing here or what?

You can either start bash and enter
        umount / && mount -b <cgynus-path> /
which remounts your root directoy only in binary mode or
run regedit, search for
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cygnus Solutions/CYGWIN.DLL setup/b15.0/mounts
and change [0-9][0-9]/fbinary from 0 to 1

>Secondly, environment variables.  Every other post I see regards someone
>suggesting that someone else add environment variables or adjust them.  Can
>someone please clarify it all to me by sending or pointing me to some useful
>.bash_profile and .bashrc files?

Just have a look at <cygnus-path>/cygnus.bat - it contains everything
you may need ! If you want, you can put these env vars to your user
environment, so you don't have to always run cygnus.bat.

>Thirdly and a rabbit trail, I have been attempting to get SSH up and running
>however I never get entering my password before it bombs out; some how I
>feel this is related to the binary mounts thoughà

This is related to non binary mounts and to the CYGWIN32 env var, which
should contain at least "tty" !

>I guess what I really need or desire is to see what a real world running
>install LOOKS like.  I mean the whole nine yards. That way I can have
>something to compare myself to.  Anyone have a sacrificial machine lying
>around they can stick out there and let a few newbies telnet in and look at?
>This could save me an enormous amount of time asking questions,
>experimenting, etc.

I can send you a bunch of files, but I'm afraid that my setup is way too
complicated for a beginner. My .bashrc only has about 1000 lines :)

>Thanks in Advance for your help,
>
>Troy High
>Thigh@bigfoot.com

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
-