Re: Another newbie onboard... (maybe)

At 14:42 24/05/98 +0200, Michael Hirmke wrote:
>Troy High [thigh@smatnet.net] wrote:
>
>[...]
>>Firstly, concerning mounting stuff in binary/text mixed mode or not,  I seem
>>to be really confused.  I have tried to unmount and mount these things
>>however I invariably end up with the same mounts when I restart the machine.
>>Are there command-line switches or registry hacks I am missing here or what?
>
>You can either start bash and enter
>        >which remounts your root directoy only in binary mode or
>run regedit, search for
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Cygnus Solutions/CYGWIN.DLL setup/b15.0/mounts
>and change [0-9][0-9]/fbinary from 0 to 1

The above specific problem aside, I like to know if anyone tried working in
a file system mounted in binary mode.  I find that most things do not work
consistently and had to patch broken binaries (from release) which were
compiled in "textmode".  For example, with root file system is mounted in
binary mode,

	echo "main(){}" > c.c && gcc c.c

failed out of the box (in assembler) due to text/binary mode thingy.

Regards

Jaya