Re: Is there a way to avoid dialog boxes?

Geoff Hart wrote:
<stuff deleted>

>             system error dialog boxes!
>
> Is there a way I can turn off error dialog boxes?  Things like
> "cygwinb19.dll not found in PATH ....", or "an exception has
> occurred ...".  These boxes popup on the NT server machine's
> screen, which doesn't help remote users.

Hi Geoff.

There is a fn called SetErrorMode.  Prototype is as follows :

UINT
SetErrorMode(UINT uMode) 	// set of bit flags that specify
error-handling properties

The bitflags you're looking for are SEM_NOOPENFILEERRORBOX, which has a
value of 0x8000, and SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX (0x0002).  There are other
possible values, which can be determined by consulting any
reasonbly-complete API reference.

If you have the SEM_NOOPENFILEERRORBOX flag set when you call
SetErrorMode, you're telling the OS to return an error to you, and you
(i.e. your application) will handle it.  Note that the documentation I
consulted (msvc 4.x), stated that with SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX, the
application needed to be a debugger that is coded to handle such
exceptions via an exception-handling mechanism.

I hope you find this useful!

John D. Rogers
Software Engineer, Cascade Systems, Inc.
jrogers@cascadenet.com
-