Re: md5sum uses text mode, not binary mode

marcus@bighorn.dr.lucent.com writes:

> > Finally, `cat' obviously uses text mode:
> >
> > 	$ cat foo.exe | wc
> > 	     11      48    2098
> > 	$ ls -l foo.exe
> > 	-r-xr-xr-x   1 544      everyone  1190912 Jun 17 16:15 foo.exe
> > 	$
> >
> > Clearly, `cat' read only the first 2098 bytes.  I infer that it saw
> > a ^Z and stopped, implying that `cat' reads its files in text mode.
>
> Here is a flaw in your logic.  It could be that wc is setting its input
> into text mode (indeed this is quite likely since wc is meant to process
> text).

Oops, you're right.

> A better test would be to do:
>
> 	cat foo.exe >xxx
>
> and see if xxx and foo.exe look the same.

`cmp' reports them as being the same.

What got me started looking at md5sum was that I noticed I was
getting different numbers from md5sum when I ran the gnu-win32
version, different from the UNIX (SunOS) version.

Strangely, I get the same signature from both `md5sum --binary' and
`md5sum --text'.

M.
-