Re: Asterisk expansion...

On 27-Jul-1998, Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ---Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> > > It is the shells job to do the globbing not the programs.
> >
> > Then why does gnu-win32 do the globbing in the case of the command
> > `echo *.*'?
>
> In the case of the DOS shell command `ECHO' or `echo' is a shell
> builtin; therefore, gnu-win32 doesn't even enter the picture.

Sorry, you are correct.  I forgot that echo was a builtin for command.com.
Let me rephrase the question: why does gnu-win32 do the globbing in the
case of the command `C:\bin\echo *.*'?

My point is that your statement "It is the shells job to do the globbing
not the programs", while valid in Unix, is not valid in DOS, and it
is not valid in any unqualified sense in gnu-win32.

PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
-