Re: Asterisk expansion...

---Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

> On 27-Jul-1998, Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > ---Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU> wrote:

When you

> > > Then why does gnu-win32 do the globbing in the case of the command
> > > `echo *.*'?
> >
> > In the case of the DOS shell command `ECHO' or `echo' is a shell
> > builtin; therefore, gnu-win32 doesn't even enter the picture.
>
> Sorry, you are correct.  I forgot that echo was a builtin for
command.com.
> Let me rephrase the question: why does gnu-win32 do the globbing in
the
> case of the command `C:\bin\echo *.*'?
>
> My point is that your statement "It is the shells job to do the
globbing
> not the programs", while valid in Unix, is not valid in DOS, and it
> is not valid in any unqualified sense in gnu-win32.

I know from the experience of my mingw32-sup package that cmd.exe and
commmand.com do globbing, it is not as robust though.  For example:
`ls' doesn't do any globbing, it only reports on a list of files given
it on stdin.  I ported it to native win32 using mingw32.

Gnu-win32 reglobs in the startup of the program (none of the programs
were modified to do the globbing) in order to emulate the UNIX
environment and to serve the `mounted filesystem table'.
==
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------