Re: long long vs long

Hi Matt, you wrote:

: Not to be picky, but to quote K&R II pg. 36:
[snip]

: Also, chars are not limited to be only 8 bits, but they must be at least
: 8 bits.  I routinely work on processors (C40, C44) where CHAR_BIT is
: 32.  This results in the pecularity that
:
: 	sizeof(char) = sizeof(long) = 1
:
: which is perfectly legal.  I think there is a lot more code in the world
: that asumes that CHAR_BIT is 8 than sizeof(long) is 4.

With sizeof(char) = sizeof(int) = 1 and looking at K&R II pg. 16,
you'd got a problem with getchar() and EOF, if someone invents a
32bit charset and assumes to be able to use them all *and* EOF.
AFAIK the biggest charsets currently are 16bit (e.g. Unicode),
so at the moment you're safe with a 32bit char!

Bye, Heribert (dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de)
-