programs wont read/write stdin/stdout under bash

HI all, I'm having trouble getting compiled C (cygwin19beta gcc) or
java (sun jdk) programs to communicate with stdin and stdout when
exec'ed from bash (cygwin19beta) under NT4.  reading from stdin always
produces an eof and writing produces no input.  It seems as though the
child process hasnt got open file descriptors 0,1 or 2.

I suspect I am being incredibly dumb here. Any help gratefully
appreciated.

stu

--
Stuart Maclean, Research Associate