RE: Compiling Bison-generated parsers with MS VC++?

On Thursday, October 08, 1998 2:04 AM, Christopher David Hundhausen
[SMTP:chundhau@cs.uoregon.edu] wrote:
> I've used VC++ (v 5.0) to successfully compile a flex-generated lexical
> analyzer (lex.yy.cpp).  I did this by using the trick of creating a dummy
> (empty)  uinstd.h file (this trick was recently suggested on this mailing
> list).
>
> The next step is to get VC++ to compile a bison-generated parser that
> makes use of MFC classes.  Does anyone have any suggestions on
> how to get this to work?  At present, my compilation results in
> the following error messages:
>
> /cygnus/b19/share/bison.simple(327) : error C2065: 'yyerror' : undeclared
> identifier
> /cygnus/b19/share/bison.simple(333) : error C2065: 'alloca' : undeclared
> identifier
> /cygnus/b19/share/bison.simple(387) : error C2065: 'yylex' : undeclared
> identifier
>
> Once I get the parser to compile, what will I need to do to get
> everything to link properly with my MFC app?  Is there a gnu-win32
> object file that I need to include in the link? Does anyone have any
> advice?
>
> Please send you responses directly to me (chundhau@cs.uoregon.edu), in
> addition to posting them to the list.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> :-)Chris
>
> -
Hello Chris,

I did a project utilizing both but I did not have a need to create a dummy
unistd.h.

Presumably you have a yyerror in your source.l as void yyerror(char *message) ?
 If not, you will need one, if only an empty one. Once you have the yyerror
declare it as 'extern void yyerror(char *message)' in your source.y or a header
file you share between your source.l and source.y, if you have one.
Similarly, declare yylex in your souce.y as extern int yylex( void ).
In so far as the alloca issue is concerned you can do a
#define YY_ALWAYS_INTERACTIVE 1
which will take care of that, although I don't see how you got that in the
first place.  I have used bith flex and bison in a source-portable app that
builds with MS VC++ 5.0, egcs 1.0.2 on cygwin32, Linux and OpenVMS and only
Linux and OpenVMS had an issue with the alloca (missing that is).

That's what I did in a C environment.  Sorry, I don't grok c++, just plain c.