Soft links givin' me as hard time !!!

Hi all,

Trying to build the 20.1 development sources and keep
hitting a snag.  Seems to involve soft links.  I didn't
realize the CygWin stuff supported them - cool, EXCEPT.

After configuring make will choke on any of the little
"!<symlink> ..." magic files it comes accross.

For instance, during a make, the egcs distribution sets up
an "ln -s" of ./gcc.c to ./g++.c .  This causes the file: g++.c
with the following contents: !<symlink>./gcc.c .

Now, when make come accross this file, I get:

g++.c:1 parse error before '!'

Now, if I edit the makefile, stopping it from deleting & then
recreating this "link" and either copy gcc.c to g++.c or do
an actual UNIX ln -s on the fileserver, I'm OK.

I should mention that all the target files are actually on a
FreeBSD file system shared with Samba.  All the binary
tools and headers are on the win32 compile host.

I always 1st "flatten" out the installed CygWin system to
reside as:

/bin
/usr/bin
/usr/include
/usr/lib
/usr/share

etc ...

I did a full.exe for 20.1, flattened it out, unarched the devl sources
on the file server and commenced compiling.

The win32 host is a WinNT Pentium notebook.

The methodology I used here worked fine for b19.x ...

What's changed ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.