Re: make and .exe targets (more info)

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, John Fortin wrote:

> /cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/i586-cygwin32/bin/ld: cannot open output file
> winhello.exe
> : No such file or directory

I'm currently booted in Linux, so I can't experiment with possible 'why'
scenarios, but it seems that this line is telling you something about your
problem. Check permissions -- if you're running under NT, make sure that
you have the rights you think you should have on your output directories
and such.

As a test under Linux, I made a hello.c and an ultra simple makefile (with
an implicit .c.exe rule like yours), then put them in a directory that I
changed to read-only. Here's what I got as output:

[tlilley@defiant tmp]$ make
gcc hello.c -o hello.exe
ld: cannot open output file hello.exe: Permission denied
make: *** [hello.exe] Error 1

Granted, that output error "Permission denied" is a little different than
"No such file or directory", but I think that's where you need to be
looking.

HTH

--
   Tripp Lilley + Innovative Workflow Engineering, Inc. + (tripp@iweinc.com)
  "So perl is like a graceful swan, gliding across a lake. But underneath the

-- beable van polasm in http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=440381254