RE: unsubscribe

How many times over the past few years have we seen 'unsubscribe'
messages?  When that many people can't figure out how to do common
operations with a piece of software, maybe it's time to blame the
software instead of the people.

How difficult can it be to write a list server that looks at the mail it is
about to send, checking for content that has nothing but the word
'unsubscribe' in it?  Certainly once it has found such a piece of mail,
it is not brain surgery to decide not to mail it out to the list, but
instead to simply honor the request.

Maybe the problem is that the list server was designed to make
Multi-Level Marketing easy, (hence the name 'ezmlm'), and people
who cater to spammers have a different outlook than a bunch of
programmers who donate their time to providing free software to
the world.

Maybe the next free software project should be a smarter list server.