Re: New "feature" introduced with winsup automount?

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 06:07:27PM -0500, Steve Coleman wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I finally completed a build of the latest winsup snapshot in order to
>enable the cygwin1.dll pthread support. After installing the new
>cygwin1.dll and the latest pthread.dll I have noticed a few changes in
>the way cygwin handles path names.

I'm not sure why you are installing pthread.dll.  This has nothing
to do with cygwin.

>Feature #1:
>
>Now I find that my current directory environment (i.e. $PWD,pwd.exe) has
>some additional stuff in it when I first logon. I have "C:\Gnu" mounted
>as "/" but my home directory which should be displayed as
>"/home/coleman" appeared as "/cygdrive/c/gnu/home/coleman". I located a
>registry entry that  caused the string "/cygdrive" and after deleting
>the key I got down to just "/c/Gnu/home/coleman". It appears that the
>output of pwd.exe and $PWD do not always match. The $PWD seems to be
>correct as long as I am not in my own home directory but pwd.exe is
>always wrong. After building the distribution I could not find a new
>pwd.exe so I am continuing to use the old binary.

You deleted a registry entry???  Do you really think that is the
proscribed way of doing things?

The new DLLs have, for the most part, replaced the old //a, //b method
of accessing drives with something like /cygdrive/a/whatever.  The
mount table has also moved to a different part of the registry.

If your old mount table was not imported correctly then that was a
bug.  Please provide the output from cygcheck so that we can track
down what is going on.

>a2dslc:/% pwd
>/c/Gnu
>a2dslc:/% echo $PWD
>/
>a2dslc:/% cd $HOME
>a2dslc:/c/Gnu/home/coleman% pwd
>/c/Gnu/home/coleman
>a2dslc:/c/Gnu/home/coleman% echo $PWD
>/c/Gnu/home/coleman
>a2dslc:/c/Gnu/home/coleman% cd /home
>a2dslc:/home% echo $PWD
>/home
>a2dslc:/home% pwd
>/c/Gnu/home
>
>Is there anything I can do to my registry or environment to get these to
>act as they used to short of deactivating the automount?
>
>Feature #2:
>
>I used to be able to do "ls //D/" to get a listing of my D: drive but
>this no longer works. Is there a new "unix like" syntax to do this now,
>or is there a way to get it to automount as /d/ ?
>
>a2dslc:/c/Gnu/home/coleman:% ls -al //D/
>ls: //D/: No such file or directory

Ah.  Well, this probably explains things.  You're not using the latest
snapshot.  You're apparently using a snapshot from a week or so ago.

-chris