-mcpu vs -march

I'm using mingw32 on Intel.  I was wondering what is the difference
between using, say, -mcpu=pentium and -march=pentium.  The skimpy
documentation I have implies that the code generated using -march may not
run on all i386 architecture cpu's, whereas using -mcpu it will run
everywhere, if not at its most efficient.  Is this correct?

Bearing in mind the software will run on a variety of different machines
(pentium onwards), what is the best compromise of cpu to compile for?

What about the AMD K6 ?

--
Bob Firth <firth@troika.demon.co.uk>
Troika Associates Limited