This is the mail archive of the firstname.lastname@example.org
mailing list for the Cygwin project. See the Cygwin
home page for more information.
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
- From: Fergus Henderson <firstname.lastname@example.org.OZ.AU>, Fergus Henderson <email@example.com.OZ.AU>
- Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 06:03:29 +1100
- Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 06:01:14 +1100
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-To: mailing list email@example.com
- In-Reply-To: <19990308104616.E789@cygnus.com>; from Chris Faylor on Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 10:46:16AM -0500
- Mailing-List: contact firstname.lastname@example.org; run by ezmlm
- Sender: email@example.com
On 08-Mar-1999, Chris Faylor <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 09:11:57PM -0500, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
> >The crt0.o and cygwin1.dll comes with another commercial compiler too.
> >I do not think the GPL is valid there, to get that you need to pay first???
> If someone is distributing code which incorporates our crt0 file then it
> *must* be GPLed.
I don't think that is correct. I believe the "commercial compiler"
that Suhaib M. Siddiqi is referring to may be the one known as the
"Cygnus GNUPro Development Tools" ;-)
If I understand things correctly, it *is* possible to get a license for
Cygwin that allows you to link proprietry code which incorporates the
Cygwin crt0 file --- you just need to fork over the appropriate amount of
cash to Cygnus to pay for that license.
Fergus Henderson <email@example.com> | "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh> | of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger firstname.lastname@example.org | -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to email@example.com