Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)

On 08-Mar-1999, Chris Faylor <> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 09:11:57PM -0500, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
> >The crt0.o and cygwin1.dll comes with another commercial compiler too.
> >I do not think the GPL is valid there, to get that you need to pay first???
> If someone is distributing code which incorporates our crt0 file then it
> *must* be GPLed.

I don't think that is correct.  I believe the "commercial compiler"
that Suhaib M. Siddiqi is referring to may be the one known as the
"Cygnus GNUPro Development Tools" ;-)

If I understand things correctly, it *is* possible to get a license for
Cygwin that allows you to link proprietry code which incorporates the
Cygwin crt0 file --- you just need to fork over the appropriate amount of
cash to Cygnus to pay for that license.

Fergus Henderson <>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <>  |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger fjh@        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.