Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)

From: Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU>; Fergus Henderson
<fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU>
To: <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 1999 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic]
(was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)

>On 08-Mar-1999, Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 09:11:57PM -0500, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>> >The crt0.o and cygwin1.dll comes with another commercial compiler
too.
>> >I do not think the GPL is valid there, to get that you need to pay
first???

>> If someone is distributing code which incorporates our crt0 file then
it
>> *must* be GPLed.
>
>I don't think that is correct.  I believe the "commercial compiler"
>that Suhaib M. Siddiqi is referring to may be the one known as the
>"Cygnus GNUPro Development Tools" ;-)

Well, no it is not GNU Pro.  It is PGI.  They do redistribute the
bundled cygwin.dll, I believe under a license agreement.  PGi also
recently signed a deal with Interix (formerly known as OpenNT) to make
their compilers compatible with Interix.  However to get PGI you pay a
lesser amount of appropriate cash compare to GNU Pro.  Beside, their
compilers are known to be of high quality commercial compilers.  You do
not get ligcygwin.a.  If you need that you will need to license GNU Pro
from Cygnus.  But you do get cygwin.dl and their version of dlltools.
So the question is I am licensing cygwin.dll from another vendor,
without libcygwin.a.  This vendor supplies the dlltools too, should I be
violating a GPL if I extract the export codes from cygwin.dll using the
licensed cygwin.dll.

I am just curious here.

>If I understand things correctly, it *is* possible to get a license for
>Cygwin that allows you to link proprietry code which incorporates the
>Cygwin crt0 file --- you just need to fork over the appropriate amount
of
>cash to Cygnus to pay for that license.
>
>--
>Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>  |  "I have always known that the