This is the mail archive of the email@example.com
mailing list for the Cygwin project. See the Cygwin
home page for more information.
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Re: Cygwin license
- To: cygwin users <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Cygwin license
- From: Earnie Boyd <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:23:25 -0800 (PST)
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-To: mailing list email@example.com
- Mailing-List: contact firstname.lastname@example.org; run by ezmlm
- Reply-To: email@example.com
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
---Steve Morris <email@example.com> wrote:
> I keep hammering on this issue because I believe that cygwin is much
> less valuable unless common tools, not part of the core set, are also
> available in binary form. It is unreasonable to expect every user of
> cygwin to collect all the sources for all useful utilities and build
Thanks, Steve, for hammering. This issue needs to be "put to the
test" and I don't think this thread needs to be dropped yet as there
hasn't been a resolution.
Currently, as I see it, the only way to keep compliance with all open
source licenses is to provide instructions on where to find the tools,
where to find the source and provide instructions on what to change
and how to build them yourself with warnings not to distribute the
binaries. Bartlee first stated this as a suggestion (at least most of
it), I reiterated it and no one has yet made any comments to
If you plan to supply binaries using the cygwin1.dll then you must:
1) provide a means to obtain the source for that version of the
2) provide a means to obtain the source for the packages that the
cygwin1.dll is dependent upon.
3) provide a means to obtain the source for the packages that you are
providing binaries for and ensure that those packages meet the
requirements for the GPL.
Does anyone disagree with this?
-- firstname.lastname@example.org --
-- http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html --
PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to email@example.com